Sunday, May 13, 2012

Amish Communities in Films

When I think of Amish communities, the first things that come to mind family values, home-cooked meals, religous traditions, and hardwork that all envelop these close-knit communities. Amish cooking=yum!

Today, I just finished the made-for-tv-movie "the Shunning," an adaptation of Beverly Lewis' bestseller of the same title. The film involves a young Amish girl who discovers secrets about her past that prompt her to question her identity; does she belong with her Amish community or the outside world? As her wedding day nears, she must chose whether or not to become the wife of a well-respected bishop, (now a widower) and also mother to his sons.


I will warn movie goers in advance; this film's ending prepares it for a sequel. Overall, good, but not my favorite movie based on Amish life; my favorite is "Witness!"
Out of five stars, the movie "Witness" has five stars. It contains all things a good movie needs: drama, comedic moments, forbidden romance, and creepy villains!"Witness" centers around a young, Amish widow named Rachel (Kelly McGillis) and her son Samuel. When the pair travel to the city, Samuel witnesses a murder and for their protection and his own, cop John Book (Harrison Ford) travels with them back to their Amish community. Book begins learning how to adjust to Amish life, but will he adjust to his feelings for Rachel as well as stay wary of the killers on their trail? The movie also boasts one of the most passionate kiss scenes of all time!

Out of the two, I recommend the movie "Witness" first, simply because its storyline is one of the best. So rent this movie when you need time to relax and enjoy!
Quotes that Help Make "Witness" memorable:
1. "Are you enjoying your reading?" Rachel
"Oh yeah. I'm learning a lot about manure. Very interesting"John Book
2. "Hi! We're just here for the day, would you mind..."Tourist Lady holding up camera
"Lady, you take my picture with that thing and I'm gonna rip your brassiere off... and strangle you with it! You got that?" John Book
"Did you hear what that Amish just said to me?"Tourist Lady
3."How do I look, I mean, do I look... Amish?"John Book
"You look plain."Rachel
4."He's leaving, isn't he? "Rachel
"Tomorrow morning. He'll need his city clothes."Rachel's father
"But why? What does he have to go back to?"Rachel
"He's going back to his world, where he belongs. He knows it, and you know it, too."Rachel's father

No comments:

Post a Comment