Sunday, May 13, 2012

The Movie Heartbreaker (L'arnacoeur) and Its Ties to Dirty Dancing

On Friday, I watched the french film "The Heartbreaker" for the first time ever. The movie starts out in the desert with an unhappy couple. Soon, you learn a gorgeous man, Alex, was hired to break them up as he does for many other clients that hire him to break couples up. Alex works with a great team: his sister and her husband. Soon the team is hired to break up an engagement between an heiress, Juliette (Vanessa Paradis) and her oh-so-perfect-prince-charming, who really is perfect by the way:)With Juliette, Alex finds a true challenge and just maybe his match.

When Alex finds out Juliette's favorite movie is Dirty Dancing he promptly decides to learn the final dance in the movie.

This is the result:

I won't spoil the rest of the movie but I will say, his moves would have won me over!
After watching Heartbreaker, I decided to watch Dirty Dancing. I had only caught the dance scene at the end and never the rest of the movie, but after wathing Heartbreaker, I wanted to.
Watching Dirty Dancing for the first time made me wonder why I had never watched it before; it is my new obsession! Although, I liked Dirty Dancing, the dance scene in Heartbreaker made me feel more overjoyed; I got the sense one gets when entering something new to find an old comfort there. The dance scene allowed me the old comfort in a new movie and helped complete the movie. That asside, Dirty Dancing was my preference between the two. It affected me more than Heartbreaker, for I felt as though Heartbreaker was only the feeling one gets before opening a gift: the anticipation, the joy of not knowing exactly what it is but suspecting. Sometimes your expectations are low and sometimes they're high; with Dirty Dancing, I couldn't say what my expectations were going into the movie, but coming out I knew it had surpassed them. Dirty Dancing allowed me to receive that rare gift that surpasses all your expectations. It made me happy and empathetic; more than anything, it made me want to take dance lessons.
Bottom line: watch Heartbreaker and Dirty Dancing back to back so you can see both of the dances and so you can love them both!
Enjoyable quotes from Dirty Dancing:
1. "That was the summer of 1963 - when everybody called me Baby, and it didn't occur to me to mind."Baby/Frances
2. "Go back to your playpen, Baby." Penny
3."Me? I'm scared of everything. I'm scared of what I saw, I'm scared of what I did, of who I am, and most of all I'm scared of walking out of this room and never feeling the rest of my whole life the way I feel when I'm with you." Baby
And FINALLY, of course:
4."Nobody puts Baby in a corner." Johnny
Enjoyable Quotes from Heartbreaker:
1. "I break up couples for a living" Alex
2. "You've awoken me, (fill in the blank; he uses this line for all the women in the couples he breaks up). I haven't felt this alive in ages. Thanks to you. But it's too late for me. I'm far away from here. I can't fall in love again. But you, you deserve the best."Alex
3. "What are you trying to prove by marrying Jonathan? I have nothing against him. He's wonderful, smart, brilliant, and no doubt very kind. But he'll bore you to tears."Juliette's father
4. "The first moment I saw you, I knew; you were the one."Jonathan
5."Women in couples come in three categories: happy, uknowingly happy, and unhappy without admitting it. I work on that final category. We're here to help them. Our job: break up a relationship. Our goal: open their eyes. Our method: seduction. But we only break up couples. We never break hearts. My name is Alex Lippi and today I've broken my own heart." Alex
6. "I hate Roquefort, I'd never seen Dirty Dancing, I think George Michael is crap, and my thigh is just fine. I don't know if I'm good enough for you. I don't have a jet or an apartment, I sleep in my office, but I know I need to see you each day. So..." Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment